You love to watch them in Hollywood blockbusters like Ice Age and 10,000 BC, but woolly mammoths -- those magnificent yet shy members of the pachyderm family -- need more than your entertainment dollars. They also need protection!
Did you know that April 1, 2008 is International Save the Woolly Mammoths Day?
Think about it:
- Woolly mammoths evolved to thrive under "ice age" conditions. Guess what? This makes them especially vulnerable to climate change.
- Woolly mammoths that have remained safe in their Arctic habitat for eons are constantly being discovered in a perilously thawed state.
- Incredibly, woolly mammoths are not protected by the Endangered Species Act, even though naturalists haven't sighted a live specimen in the wild for at least 3,500 years.
- Full-grown woolly mammoths had no natural enemies -- until some humans with brains bigger than their bellies figured out how send entire herds of them over cliffs.
- Honestly -- have you ever seen anything cuter than a baby woolly mammoth?
PLEASE! Sign our petition to protect woolly mammoths before it's too late. And tell your friends to help save the big, furry beasts as well.